If you know anything about the electric scooter market, you know Schwinn is synonymous with high-quality electric scooters. One of their top products in an affordable price range is the Schwinn S-500 electric scooter.
While the manufacturer discontinued production of this model, its popularity on the secondary market proves how impressive and well-loved this model of electric scooter is.
Are you looking for a perfect and cost-effective way to commute short distances? The Schwinn S-500 is an ideal choice for short-distance commuting if you have a tight budget.
The electric scooter itself is affordable, and it will also save you money on gasoline. The Schwinn S-500 is a wise choice for commuting nearby, like grocery shopping or going to work, so read on to learn about the pros, cons and unique features of this electric scooter.
- It comes with a detachable seat that allows you to switch between sitting and standing while riding.
- The padded seat gives you maximum comfort and gives you a fun riding experience.
- The electric scooter comes with a wide deck that gives you plenty of room for your foot.
- It is a budget-friendly electric scooter that gives you the benefit of saving money.
- The battery takes more than 5 hours to charge fully.
- 12-inch air-filled tires
- 500 W powerful chain-driven motor
- Two 12 V batteries giving you a total battery power of 24 V
- Wide anti-slip deck
- Solid and durable handlebar
- Dual braking system
- Weight capacity of 240 lb
- LED lights
What to Look for in an Electric Scooter?
- Motor: The primary consideration you must look into when you buy an electric scooter is its motor power. Better motor capacity means you will be able to ride at a better speed with greater acceleration. So always choose an electric scooter that has great motor power.
- Weight Capacity: You need to consider your weight when you buy an electric scooter. Always buy a scooter that can easily support your weight.
- Battery: Another essential thing you need to keep in mind while buying an electric scooter is its battery capacity. The more battery power you have, the more miles you can travel with one single charge. Always check the battery capacity of the electric scooter you are choosing.
- Ease of Use: Many electric scooters come with various other features, like detachable seats, a wide deck, cruise control, and more. So it is advisable to choose an electric scooter that offers more features for enhanced safety and comfort.
- Portability: It is essential to look for a portable and foldable electric scooter for easy carrying and storage. When you search for the best electric scooter, make sure it is easy to fold and allows you to carry it anywhere you want.
- Price: Between $150 – $400 is an excellent price range for an electric scooter for adults. Furthermore, consider features that make an electric scooter a value-for-money option.
Features and Benefits of Schwinn S-500 Electric Scooter
Let us dive into some of the unique features of the Schwinn S-500 Electric Scooter.
Schwinn S-500 comes with high torque, chain-driven 500 W motor. Its high-performance motor allows you to ride at the maximum speed of 12 mph. Also, the chain-driven formula provides you with a noiseless ride.
It has sleek 12-inch pneumatic tires that easily traverse rough terrain and bumpy roads. The wheels are puncture-free tires that save you from the hassle of punctures and save your money. Also, the wheels have 5 spoke alloys.
This electric scooter comes with high-power and rechargeable batteries of 24 V that allow you to travel up to 8 miles on a single charge. The charging time of batteries is 4 – 6 hours.
The dual braking system of the Schwinn S-500 electric scooter enhances the added security. In addition, there is a rear disc brake that allows you to avoid any accidents.
The scooter has a durable handlebar that comes with a twist throttle. The twist throttle allows you to set the speed of your ride. The lay forward handlebar comes with a power on/off button.
The manufacturer ensures the scooter is well-constructed with a bright headlight and taillight for better visibility during the night. Reflectors on the sides enhance safety at night.
Wide Anti-slip Deck
The scooter has an anti-slip deck with great width that offers you great comfort and enhanced convenience for your feet.
The scooter has a high tensile steel frame that enhances its sturdiness and durability. It also has a battery box.
The electric scooter comes with a detachable seat that you can also remove as per your need. Also, the adjustable seat height allows you to adjust the seat according to your height and comfort.
Alternatives to Schwinn S-500 Electric Scooter
#1 Razor EcoSmart
Razor EcoSmart electric scooter is one of the best electric scooters and comes with great features. The sterling highlight of the Razor EcoSmart is its 500 W motor, which is the same as Schwinn S-500.
Razor electric scooters allow you to ride at a maximum speed of 18 mph, whereas Schwinn S-500 reaches a top speed of only 12 mph. Razor EcoSmart is a portable and foldable electric scooter. The Schwinn S-500 electric scooter is also a foldable model that you can easily store.
Another great feature of Razor EcoSmart is that it comes with a detachable basket that allows you to carry your personal belongings with you while you ride. It is fitted with 16 inches of air-filled tires, the same as Schwinn S-500.
The most significant difference between Schwinn S-500 and Razor EcoSmart is their price. Razor EcoSmart is on the expensive side as compared to Schwinn S-500 electric scooter.
#2 GOTRAX XR ultra Electric Scooter
GOTRAX XR ultra is another good alternative to the Schwinn S-500. It has a 300 W motor that offers you a maximum speed of 15.5 mph, whereas the Schwinn S-500 electric scooter comes with a 500 W motor and allows you to ride at a maximum speed of 12 mph.
Also, its high-capacity battery will let you ride up to 17 miles continuously with a single charge; on the other hand, Schwinn S-500 can only take you up to 8 miles with fully charged batteries. Its LED display is an added feature that shows your speed level, battery remaining, and ride mode.
I have rated the Schwinn S-500 and its features after comparing it with competitors.
- Motor: 9/10
- Battery Capacity: 7/10
- Portability: 7/10
- Tires: 8/10
- Price: 9/10
Overall Score: 8/10
I recommend the Schwinn S-500 electric scooter if you need a vehicle to travel short distances. It comes with great motor capacity and other unique features that make it an ideal pick.