I am a working woman with two children, and recently my younger son has been obsessed with electric scooters. He pleaded with me to buy him one for his birthday.
As he is 6 years old now, my concern with buying him an electric scooter was with the speed and safety features. I wanted to ensure the scooter would not run at a very high speed and possessed features suitable for kids.
So I started searching for a reliable scooter for him, taking a look at 19 different scooters. It took me around ten hours, but I finally developed a shortlist of the 3 best products based on their speed, battery life, portability, weight, and other features. So if you are searching for the best electric scooter for a 6-year-old, read on to find out which scooters made my top 3.
In this review, you will discover:
- The top 3 best electric scooters for 6-year-olds, based on speed, battery life, portability, weight, and overall value.
- A helpful buyer’s guide to choosing the best electric scooter for 6-year-olds.
- Answers to some FAQs
And much more.
#1. Razor Electric Scooter
- Design: 9.4/10
- Safety: 9.6/10
- Battery: 9.5/10
- Speed: 9.4/10
- Overall Score: 9.5/10
- Motor: 100 W
- Battery: 24 V lead-acid
- Top Speed: 10 mph
- Weight Capacity: 120 lb
The scooter has a smooth kick start motor, which means that your kid will not have to struggle to start the scooter. The Razor electric scooter for 6-year-olds enjoys a controlled acceleration which gives assurance to the parents.
- Smooth kick start.
- Controlled speed for kids.
- Suitable for kids to carry.
- Heavier than other scooters.
- The battery takes a long time to charge fully.
- Battery: The scooter has a 24 V lead-acid rechargeable battery. The scooter runs for 40 minutes continuously, which is sufficient for kids to enjoy the scooter ride. The battery takes nearly eight hours to charge fully. Thus, it is one of the best electric scooters for a 6-year-old.
- Design: The scooter’s deck is 21″ long and 7″ wide, perfect for kids 6 and older. The handlebar is 22″ high, which is an ideal height for kids. It has a plastic resin body which gives the scooter an attractive look. The weight capacity of the scooter is 120 lb which is sufficient for kids.
- Safety: The Razor scooter has a 100 W single-speed chain-driven motor which is capable of providing a 10 mph top speed. It is an ideal speed for kids so that they can enjoy the ride while remaining safe. It has a hand-operated throttle and brake control which makes the ride stable for kids. It has 8-inch pneumatic front tires, which help to ride smoothly on the rugged terrain. The tires are reliable and puncture-proof.
#2. GOTRAX GKS Electric Scooter
- Design: 8.9/10
- Safety: 9.4/10
- Battery: 9.810
- Speed: 9.2/10
- Overall Score: 9.1/10
- Battery: 50.4 Wh lithium battery
- Motor: 150 W
- Top Speed: 7.5 mph
- Weight Capacity: 154 lb
The scooter can be used both as an electric and kick scooter. The GOTRAX GKS electric scooter for a 6-year-old is ideal for children in the age group of 6 – 12 years. There are a variety of color options available.
- Powerful motor.
- Long-lasting batteries.
- Good weight capacity.
- Speed is lower compared to other electric scooters.
- Battery: The scooter has a battery of 25.2 V. It lasts for a long time. The lithium battery takes only a short time to charge fully. It can travel around 4 miles on a single charge. The battery supplies sufficient power to the motor and helps it to run continuously for nearly an hour at a time.
- Design: The scooter is very lightweight, just 17 lb – perfect for kids to handle. There is no external cable, so the scooter looks clean. The scooter is also portable and very easy to carry. It fits easily in the car.
- Safety: The scooter has a safety start function. The rider needs to put both legs on the deck to start the motor. This ensures balance and avoids the risk of falling. The scooter has 6-inch hard rubber tires. It can bear a high weight capacity. It has a good suspension and maintains a smooth ride, even on bumpy roads. The scooter has a 150 W motor which gives the scooter a reasonable top speed. The maximum speed of the scooter is 7.5 mph, which is ideal for kids.
#3. Maxtra Electric Scooter
- Design: 9.4/10
- Safety: 9.5/10
- Speed: 9.4/10
- Battery: 9.3/10
- Overall Score: 9.4/10
- Battery: 24 V
- Top Speed: 10 mph
- Weight Capacity: 155 lb
The scooter has a long, wide deck that is comfortable for kids aged 6 – 12 years. It also has a good weight capacity of 155 lb.
- Lightweight scooter.
- Rear braking system.
- Easy to fold.
- Comfortable deck.
- The charger could be better.
- Battery: The rechargeable and replaceable 24 V battery runs for 60 minutes continuously. The charger for the battery is also included when you buy the scooter.
- Design: The handlebar of the scooter has a special design that enables folding it to make storage easy. Along with the storage, it also guarantees portability. The handlebar can be adjusted without tools, making it easy for kids. The wide deck is non-slippery, making it stable for the kids to stand on. It can bear a load of 155 lb, which is quite impressive for kid’s scooters.
- Safety: The maximum speed of this scooter is 10 mph. Kids can adjust acceleration using the twist-grip throttle. The hand-operated brake on the left side of the handle is easily accessible by the kids. They can apply the brake and stop the scooter easily. To support a stable and smooth ride, 6-inch airless wheels are available with the scooter. They have long durability as they are anti-flat tires and don’t need to be replaced often.
Buyer’s Guide: Electric Scooter for 6-year-old
As the scooter is for kids, a battery with a minimum capacity of 24 V will be ideal. This will last for approximately 40 minutes, which makes it a fun ride. With this battery capacity, the kids can cover a 6.5-mile distance on a single ride, which is quite long. Most of the batteries come with no charge, so charge the batteries and start the scooter to go on a ride.
Always pick a scooter that weighs less than 25 lb, as it is for a 6-year-old. This makes the scooter portable, so you can carry it anywhere when your kids are alone. Also, choose a foldable handlebar design that makes the scooter compact enough to store it.
When we talk about scooters for kids, a motor having a maximum capacity of 200 W is more than enough. This motor can guarantee a speed of 7.5 mph, which is enough for kids. The electric scooter should have a large deck with a minimum size of 15″.
This will help the kids stand firmly on the scooter. To provide stability on the road when they ride, the tires should be at least 8 inches thick, regardless of whether they are pneumatic or solid rubber. Hand brakes along with a rear foot brake will make it simple for kids to come to a stop, as they can access both of them easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
What factors should I consider before giving an electric scooter to my 6-year-old kid?
Before giving your kid an electric scooter, check if they can make small basic judgments with a calm mind during their ride. It will always be good if they are already riding a regular bike. This will familiarize them with the balance required to ride an electric scooter.
What safety equipment should I pick for my kid?
Wearing a good quality helmet along with knee and elbow pads is important. Also, wearing the right shoes and dress during their ride should be prioritized.
What safety checks should I do before I give the electric scooter to a 6-year-old?
Picking an appropriate scooter with minimal top speed and suitable height plays an important role in any safety check. Also, check the battery charge, air in the tires, and the free movement of the handlebar so that kids can experience a smooth ride.
Electric scooters are a fun activity for kids these days. It allows them to ride around the town happily. But my concern was to find a scooter with a limited speed that has good suspension tires.
Out of these, the Razor electric scooter was the best as it is lightweight and offers controlled speed for kids. The second choice would be the GOTRAX electric scooter, which comes with long-lasting batteries. If you want a value-for-money product, you can go for Maxtra electric scooter.