Unable to select the right size of helmet for you? I know a bit about that. I have tried many helmets over the years, but very few fit properly on my unusually large head! This article will discuss some of the best helmets for large head sizes that I have personally tried and tested.
But before I begin, I wanted to share a small message about bike safety. Did you know that 857 bicyclists died on the roads in 2018? We could have prevented these fatalities if the bicyclists had been wearing the right-sized helmets. Experts often talk about using and selecting the correct size of helmet to be safe when going on the road with your bike.
If you are looking for my top recommendation, you should go for the Bell Sixer MIPS Adult Mountain Bike Helmet. You should select this one because the inner padding is made up of X-Static and XT2 materials, making it highly durable. The hard polycarbonate outer layer of the helmet protects your head from injuries.
#1 Bell Sixer MIPS Adult Mountain Bike Helmet: Best Overall
According to me, this helmet is the best one for a person with a large head. I use the XL size of the helmet (61-65cm).
What makes this product an exception is that the helmet’s outer portion is very sturdy and can manage quite a few impactful blows. You can adjust the helmet in terms of height, pad width, and tension. You will not feel any discomfort with the quick-drying materials used inside.
- Polycarbonate Progressive layering.
- Integrated with MIPS
- X-Static and XT2 Padding
- Dual Flow Ventilation
- Integrated Breakaway Camera Mount
- Polycarbonate Progressive layering: The helmet uses a polycarbonate material that protects the rider from head injuries. If there is an impact, then the energy will be transferred throughout the helmet area. The roll cage attached to it is also made of Polycarbonate.
- Integrated with MIPS: MIPS is short for Multi-directional Impact Protection System. This sip plane technology is designed to reduce the impact of rotational forces. MIPS also makes this helmet highly adjustable in terms of height and pad width.
- X-Static and XT2 Padding: The padding materials are made by using natural silver fibers. The fiber can prevent any odor caused by sweating. You can also fasten the belt of this helmet very quickly due to the padding design.
- Dual Flow Ventilation: The airflow is maintained due to the ventilation process present in the helmet. The temperature is reduced by the insertion of cool air in the helmet.
Integrated Breakaway Camera Mount: You can also mount your action cam without using any extra belt or tape.
- The helmet comes with all the standard safety features.
- The helmet is extremely comfortable to wear without any irritation.
- There are four ports on the underside of the shell for good ventilation.
- The inner pads are sweat absorbent and antimicrobial.
- The helmet is highly durable and can withstand extreme conditions.
- The weight of this helmet model is 444 grams, which is slightly heavy.
This helmet has all the safety and comfortability features, but it is also stylish. The XL size in the product is good enough for my head. It also has an integrated camera mount for making videos of your biking adventures. In short, this is by far the best helmet I have worn.
#2 Grio Radix MIPS Men’s Dirt Cycling Helmet: Best Lightweight
Another helmet that I have often used is Grio Radix MIPS Men’s Dirt cycling helmet. The helmet is available in the XL size, and I had a choice of eight colors. I prefer black, but I know people can be quirky about these things.
The outer covering is very hard, and the occipital cover is strong enough to protect you from any kind of fall. The helmet is light in weight as well.
- Multi-Directional Impact Protection.
- Roc Loc 5.5 adjustment system
- In-mold Construction
- All-around protection: The straps attached to the helmet offer a tight grip. The Y buckle is also present on each side. This helmet can be angled through 15 degrees.
Multi-Directional Impact Protection: Multi-Directional Impact Protection (MIPS) reduces the load transfer on the elastomers present on the inner side. The presence of MIPS also minimizes the impact of collisions.
- Comfortable inner material: The inner part is made up of highly comfortable material and reduces the rider’s head. Along with superb cushioning, sweat also gets absorbed due to the making material.
- In-mold Construction: The hardshell covering covers the entire helmet and also the ears. As the ear portion is covered, it is one of the very few helmets that offer occipital protection.
- Full hardshell helmet with integrated MIPS technology.
- It fits well due to the presence of a Y-shaped buckle.
- The company of an ultra-stable pressure point offers an airy feeling.
- The inner pads are antimicrobial.
- The helmet is available at a reasonable rate.
- Due to the presence of short peaks, it does not offer protection from foul weather.
- The helmet rim eyeliner is slightly short.
This particular helmet stands out from others because it is very lightweight. The helmet weighs only 306 grams, so I find it easy to wear. The reduced trench makes it very durable; I had one that stayed with me for over five years.
#3 Kingbike Ultralight Bike Helmet for Men: Best For Night Riders
This helmet has a three-mode rear light, which is great for riding in low light or at night. You can set it to always-on, fast flashing, or slow flashing.
Apart from that, I found the helmet to be very lightweight, just like the last one. Another cool thing that you get with this helmet is its visor. When it’s sunny out, you can just add on the visor and protect your eyes from glare.
- Polycarbonate shell.
- Rear LED light
- Helmet Visor and Bag
- Ample amount of ventilation
- Adjustable dial for fitting
- LED rear light: I can’t say this enough to other cyclists: always have reflectors on your gear, cycle, or helmet. But if you don’t want all that, the rear LED light on this helmet will keep you protected all the time!
- Polycarbonate shell: The outer surface of this helmet is made of Polycarbonate. Along with that, the EPS liner is attached.
- Visor: The free visor on the helmet protects your eyes from the sun when it’s sunny out.
- Ultralightweight: The product falls in the ultra-lightweight category and weighs only 0.49 lb. The weight of the product makes it comfortable for the rider to wear it all day.
- Ample amount of ventilation: A total of 24 vents are present in the helmet. These vents regulate the airflow and the temperature inside the helmet.
- Adjustable dial: The adjustable dial offers easy customization. The rider can easily adjust the size of the helmet according to the head size.
- EPS liner makes it easy to wear.
- The helmet comes with 3 LED rear flashlight modes. These are always on, fast flash and slow flash.
- The ventilators, along with the inner cushions, regulate temperature and minimize abrasion.
- The backpack is given with the product to carry the helmet when you don’t wear it.
- The outer shell is very hard.
- The inner pads can irritate whenever used for a prolonged period.
The helmet is available in large and XL sizes, and the easy-adjust dial on the helmet lets you fit it perfectly on your head, even if it is slightly off.
#4 Zacro Adult Bike Helmet
If you are looking for style, then this helmet has a cool look. This is a perfect blend of style and safety. All the colors look attractive.
- Tough and durable
- Safe to use
- Compatible with goggles.
- Tough and Durable: The helmet is made up of by using PVC. Inside of it, EPS foam is used. This makes the helmet unbreakable. This helmet can withstand a few hard blows.
- Safe to use: The foam present on the inner padding reduces the impact force. You can adjust the adjustable straps attached to it to fit properly.
- Lightweight: While riding, naturally, the rider will not want a burden on the head. This super lightweight helmet comes with a weight of 225g only.
- Compatible with goggles: You can easily use the helmet with goggles, and it will not create any discomfort. You can fit the goggles easily due to the presence of a fully adjustable POV plus visor.
- The helmet is engineered with market-leading protection technology.
- The helmet is extremely comfortable and cozy.
- The product is available in 7 colors.
- The padding material soaks ten times more sweat than other helmets and also dries quickly.
- Less number of vents and smaller size make the rider sweat more.
This helmet will protect you from almost anything and everything and offers the best quality in the market. If you have the budget, then this is one of the best options to go for. Consider all the advantages and disadvantages before buying it.
#5 Smith Optics signal MIPS Men’s Cycling Helmet
You will never feel strangled while wearing it due to the presence of vents on the upper side of the helmet. This feature makes it different than others.
- Comfortable design
- Easy storage
- Maintain a consistent airflow
- Great fitting
- Comfortable design: The helmet is built by using a high-quality mold. In the making process, equal density polystyrene is used. That forms a rigid and sturdy outer shell. The sleek design of it and the inner cushioning makes it comfortable to wear.
- Easy storage: This product is box-shaped and does not require ample space for storage. That makes it easy to carry.
- Maintain a consistent airflow: A total of 21 fixed vents are there. These vents maintain a constant airflow inside of the helmet.
- Great fitting: The attached straps are thicker. With that, an adjustable clip is bound to make it easy to wear. The straps provide a firm grip around the ears and jaws.
- Presence of MIPS technology.
- Extremely durable and made for regular use.
- Along with an adjustable clip, a quick-release clip is also there.
- It covers the whole area of the head.
- It is slightly heavier compared to the other ones on the list, weighing 297 grams.
- The design is somewhat old-schooled.
The said helmet is easy to carry anywhere, and since it is box-shaped, it does not require ample storage. Also, the helmet’s straps provide a firm grip around your ears that contribute to the security quotient of the helmet.
Buyer’s Guide for Best Bike Helmet for Large Heads
There are a handful of things to be considered before buying a bike helmet. Let’s look at the parameters that should not be overlooked while purchasing a bike helmet for large heads without further delay.
Always ensure that the product is protected from all sides and can protect your skull from injuries. To check that, make sure it is made by using sturdy materials.
Check for the number and size of the air vents. These air vents will maintain the airflow inside the helmet and reduce sweat production from the rider’s body. If you are going for a long ride, the airflow inside of the helmet is important. You should look for one with at least 14 air vents.
Inner pads present on the helmet offer cushioning. This cushioning should have qualities such as sweat absorption, antimicrobial, etc. These qualities prevent any pungent odor.
It is one of those factors which varies from buyer to buyer. Various types of helmets available belong to all sorts of categories, from ultra-lightweight to heavyweight. Choose the one that suits you best and in which you feel comfortable. A lightweight helmet’s weight should be no more than 0.50 pounds.
Most of the helmets are attached to the head with the help of straps or belts. Just make sure that it binds with your head firmly and will not fall off while riding mountain bikes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Bike Helmet for Large Heads
Ques. What Size Bicycle Helmet Do You Need?
Ans. One needs to choose bicycle helmets according to the head size. Most of the helmets available in the market are available in various sizes. Measure your head size and buy according to that. You can also take the help of an expert.
Ques. What Size Is a Large Bike Helmet?
Ans. According to the international helmet chart size, a large bike helmet’s size falls between 59cm to 63 cm. Always before buying, check the exact size of your head to guarantee comfort after wearing the helmet.
Ques. How to Measure the Head Size for a Bike Helmet?
Ans. You can measure your head size with the help of a measuring tape. You should measure your head from one inch above the ears and the eyebrows. Most helmets available in the market have sizes measured in centimeters, so you should also measure your head in centimeters.
This brings an end to my list of the best bike helmets for large-headed people like myself.
In my opinion, the Bell Sixer MIPS Adult Mountain Bike Helmet is the best bike helmet for large heads among the various options that we have considered. It is because of its safety features. Not only that, the inner pads provide very well cushioning and prevent sweat production.
The Grio Radix MIPS Men’s Dirt Cycling Helmet is another excellent choice. It offers antimicrobial inner pads. This helmet is integrated with the latest MIPS technology that makes it a must-buy.
Suppose you are looking for a value for money option. In that case, you can also consider the Smith Optics signal MIPS Men’s Cycling Helmet, which offers excellent value and features at a very reasonable price point.