Do you want to own an electric bike, but you cannot afford it due to a budget constraint? You need not worry at all. Convert your standard bike into an e-bike with an electric bike kit, and enjoy the savings!
Riding an e-bike has its own environmental and health benefits. But, there are several benefits of a rear-wheel electric bike kit. Most electric bikes with a hub drive mount their engines on the rear wheel as it gives perfect grip and control while riding the bike.
But have you wondered why this is so? Why don’t more bikes have a front-mounted motor? The article below will make you understand the benefits of a rear-wheel electric bike kit.
Benefits of A Rear Wheel Electric Bike Kit
Installing a rear wheel electric bike kit on a bike has various advantages. Some of these advantages are:
- Balanced Ride: If you install the kit in the mid or front, the bike’s weight is not balanced correctly. But with a rear kit, this is not a problem. With a rear kit and a centrally located battery, you evenly distribute the rider’s weight, motor, and battery. This configuration does not apply any extra load on the bike and gives a more balanced ride.
- Low maintenance: When you install a rear wheel kit to your electric bike, fewer bike elements are involved. Fewer elements mean that very little or no maintenance is required, and you can go long distances by consuming less battery.
- Better traction: Since you have evenly distributed weight on the bike, the traction is much better. Better traction is essential for off-road bikes as riders tend to take these bikes on sloppy and uneven terrain.
- Smooth ride: Electric bikes with rear-wheel hub motors tend to run more smoothly than their counterparts. The direct power distribution makes it easy for the riders to handle it. Better handling enhances the safety of the riders to a great extent.
Converting a Bike Using a Rear Wheel Conversion Kit
- Prepare the back wheel by installing a new rear hub motor on the back wheel. Take a new tire and a new tube to prevent punctures.
- Now, remove the existing back wheel of the bike. Change the caliper adaptor as you use a 180 mm that’s a larger disc instead of a smaller 160mm that was already present in the standard bike.
- Make sure the wheel is in position with the washer in between the frame and the hub motor. Ensure the same is the position on the other side of the bike.
- Instead of using a torque plate, use a bolted one and install it on the frame for better safety.
- Tighten all the bolts and secure the wheel on the frame. Now center the brakes.
- Remember to install the pedal assist sensor on the pedal with a crank pulley tool. Remove the bottom bracket and install the PAS in between and then tighten the bracket.
- Now install the rechargeable battery on the center of the bike’s frame, and next, install the slide screen on the handlebar.
- Gather all the cables together and attach them to the controller. Each wire has a specific color that must match with one of the wires of the controller.
The whole process of installing the motor on the rear wheel electric bike conversion kit is complete, and your standard bike is now a rear-wheel electric bike.
Few Examples Of Rear Hub Motor E-Bikes
- According to the cost, one of the best examples of a best rear wheel electric bike kit is the X–Treme 300W Alpine Trail bike. It is available at a reasonable price. The bike is perfect for casual riding.
- On the other hand, one of the most expensive rear hub motor drive e-bike is the Addmotor Motan 750W M-850 P7. It is a fat tire bike that uses a rear-drive hub-motor of 750watts. It is a high-performance bike.
- GigaByke Groove 2.0 is more like a scooter e-bike. It uses a 750 watt rear hub motor. It is available at a price that is between the first and the second option.
Buyers Guide For Buying E-Bike Conversion Kits For Rear Wheel
If you are looking for a boost while riding, buy motors ranging from 250watts to 1000 watts. A regular electric bike will have an engine of 300 to 500 watts. Buying a 1000watts hub motor will add excitement and thrill to your ride. Greater power means greater distance you can cover.
Wheel Size and Gears
When buying a conversion kit, opt for a minimum 26-inch tire. Gears ranging from 7 to 12, 13, and more are available. It is essential to match the gears of your bike with the equipment the conversion kit is offering.
Seeing the hub drop-out size is also very essential. The standard size for most bikes is 135mm in the rear. It will help the rider to control the bike in uneven terrain.
Controller And LCD
The kit you are buying must have a substantial controller and different wires that you need to attach with your bike’s cable. Look for an LCD that displays the battery charge, the gear the bike is running on, speed, and much more. Thus a great LCD is essential to check in the conversion kit.
Battery And Battery Management System
Look for a battery that gives a superior range. A minimum of 36 or 48 volts battery with 17 to 20 Ah will provide you with a great distance to cover. Per mile, coverage is essential to look for. Check the BMS before buying the kit. It controls the battery’s output and works with the controller directly. Do not settel0down with BMS less than 30 if choosing a battery with 48 volts.
If you wish to buy an electric bike, but your pocket does not allow you, then a simple and cheapest way is to purchase an electric bike conversion kit rear wheel . For beginners, it is the best as it helps to control the bike on any terrain.